Thursday, June 14, 2007

Creativity and Systems
Unfortunately, I feel that I live among people who mix two different values: creativity and system. The majority of the people – at least whom I live among – think that those two values will never meet cuz creativity is the outcome of breaking the restricting laws. As a result of this sort of conception, creativity in most of the Arab world is restricted to liberal people. However, with a deep look at this misunderstanding, you don't have to be free from laws and customs to be creative. In a nutshell, to be creative in the eyes of Arab people is to be out of any system.
What makes me believe in this is what happened one night when three of my friends and I were watching a program of Mahmood Saad interviewing Sheikh Ayidh Al-Garni. Al-Garni was talking about women in Arab countries and how they are treated unjustly by men. Al-Garni in this interview used a very rich language in short phrases to reveal his agenda. If this man talks, he will not stop impressing the listeners with his linguistic treasure. Instead of praising him for his efforts to clarify his ideas, one of my friends who heard Al-Garni for the first time in his life said " how come this man says such a great talk." He wondered how did Al-Garni who represents the classical school of Islamic scholars could be as fluent as the Western professional speakers. I hope this short story of my friends and I shows you our misunderstanding of the relationship between creativity and system. When I was driving my car searching for an open restaurant, I saw two different scenes that reminded me of the lack of system and creativity in my society. The first scene is a man pulled over his car in the mid of the street and went to withdraw money from a cash machine. Although he had had 7 available barkings. I became sure at that moment that we don't regard any law whatever the consequences are.The second picture is for a logo representing a 3-star hotel. The name of this hotel was not only stolen from a famous TV channel, but also the font of the logo was a copy taken from the same source.


No comments: